Friday, August 13, 2021

Another 10,000 biking miles

Doug commemorated his first 10,000 miles of biking by freezing to death with a couple friends in January 2012. Read more about it in the 10,000 miles biking post

This time, I commemorated an additional 10,000 miles by almost dying of a heat stroke biking from work to pickup my car from Rosslyn Automotive. When I arrived to pickup the car, the guys told me that I looked like I was going to pass out. They were pretty close to the truth. I hadn't re-hydrated from the morning ride.

Calculations

About a year ago, I started using Zeopoxa Cycling to track my speed, mileage, and biking history. Fortunately, I kept my old speedometer in working order so I could figure out when I got to 10,000. Prior to the kidney stone incident, I knew that I was getting close. Unfortunately, the old speedometer is located beneath my cell phone, so I do not actually see it when I am biking.

On August 17, I was biking home from work in the pouring rain, so I decided that it would be a good idea to put the cell phone in a bag in my backpack. As a result, I could see my old speedometer for the first time in a while. When I looked down, I noticed that I had already flipped the odometer ... doh!.

Speedometer has a few more scratches than it did in Jan 2012.


Using my Zeopoxy history, I went back 52.9 miles from when I noticed that I had missed the odomoter flipping. Based on some extrapolation, I calculated that the 10K occurred somewhere heading eastbound near the red X below. No comments are needed regarding the average speed of 15.9. It was 97 degrees with 60% humidity. That's a heat index of 116.

X marks 10,000 miles ... I think.

s

No comments:

Post a Comment