Saturday, November 16, 2019

Muffler Gone Bad

The muffler on the new wood chipper has been reduced to a heap of metal, so I decided it was time to replace it.

As luck would have it, the bolt that holds the muffler in place sheered off, so installing a new one was impossible ... unless you took apart the entire chipper and drilled the old bolt out.

So that is what I did ... and it only took 2 hours to get the impeller off the motor shaft. This task involved spraying a lot of WD-40 into the removed screw hole, heating the impeller, and pulling with all my might with 2 pry bars. Finally I read somewhere that the impeller is designed to tighten as the motor spins, so I hammered the impeller in the opposite direction or normal motion while holding the motor in place by putting tension on the starter cord. Luckily it came loose without breaking the starter cord. You would have thought that 1 of the 50 videos/blogs/forums on the internet would have explained this.

I started by purchasing a bolt/screw removal kit from Home Depot. The 'all-in-one' kit didn't do a good job drilling, so I had to use another drill bit for that. But the extractor worked like a charm once I had the hole drilled.

After using every tool in the house (impact wrench, variety of wrenches, pliers, air compressor, etc.), I was able to install a new $70 muffler for the Briggs and Stratton 1450 series engine that I obtained from EBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment